Easy Vegetarian Pizza
By the time you wait for pizza to be delivered, you could have an awesome homemade pizza made with fresh veggies and the cheeses of your choice. Don't let the homemade dough frighten you, it is so easy.
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. instant dry yeast
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp. sea salt
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 cup tomato sauce
4-5 inch ball fresh mozzarella cheese (boccancini)
1 large red pepper, julienned
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 cup jarred pesto sauce
5-6 artichokes, quartered (tinned variety is fine)
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1. Dissolve the sugar in the 1/2 cup of warm, sprinkle the yeast on top and let it proof (bubble) for about 5 minutes.
2. Place the flour and sea salt in the bowl of a Cuisinart, add the oil and the bubbled yeast. Pulse the machine a few times, then let it run, slowly pour the 3/4 cup of water in the feed tube. The dough will form a ball at the side of the bowl, about 1 minute.
3. Remove the dough to a floured work surface and knead it for about 2 minutes. Rub the top of the dough with a little olive oil and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size. If you like a thick crust pizza, let it rise for about 35 minutes. If you prefer a thinner crust bake it right away.
4. Turn the dough out onto a well oiled sided cookie sheet and press the dough to the edges.
5. Preheat the oven to 500F degrees. Lightly brush the dough with tomato sauce, evenly distribute veggies and cheese over top. Drop spoonfuls of the pesto at even intervals over the pizza. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Serves 4 to 6.