Sun Dried Tomato Bread
1 tbsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
additional all-purpose flour for kneading
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat the milk and sugar together until lukewarm. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and set aside for about 10 minutes until it begins to bubble.
2. Meanwhile, soak the tomatoes in enough hot water to cover for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Chop the tomatoes. Sift the flour, salt and pepper directly onto a board or suitable work surface. Stir in the tomatoes, making sure that each piece is well coated with flour.
4. Gather up the flour mixture into a pile and make a well in the center. Add the eggs and proofed yeast. Gradually draw in the flour, working with your hands, to form a soft dough. Knead spoonfuls of butter into the dough, continuing to knead for about 5 minutes longer or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. While kneading, keep the board well-floured so that the dough doesn't stick.
5. Place the dough in a lightly buttered bowl, rolling it around so that the top is also buttered. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free location for about an hour or until doubled in size.
6. Turn out the dough and punch it down. Shape and place in a greased bread pan and let is rise for about 30 minutes more.
7. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F. Combine the egg and the salt. Brush the top of the bread with the glaze. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden. To test for doneness, listen for a hallow sound when tapping the bottom of the loaf.
Makes 1 loaf.