The petals of most edible flowers can be sugared and used for decoration
on tarts, cakes and cookies. The process is simple and the flower petals can be done ahead of time and kept in an airtight container.
1 large egg white
flower petals of rose, gladiola, pansy, violets
whole flowers such as Johnny jump ups, borage, small violets, mimosa, mini roses.
1 cup berry or fine fruit sugar
1. Whisk the egg white in a bowl until it becomes foamy. Do not beat it stiff.
2. Using a fine pastry brush, coat the flowers with a thin layer of egg white.
3. Sprinkle the sugar all over the flower ensuring that it is totally covered in a fine veil of sugar.
4. Place the sugared flowers on a baking tray and let them fully dry.
5. Use as edible decorations for all your baked treats.