Scrambled Eggs in Filo & a Drizzle of Hollandaise
With Easter laying eggs only a week away, it is only fit and just that our brunch host at least 2 recipes to make for excitement around your table and in your stomach! This preparation of scrambled eggs goes one step over the top. We will serve it in filo pastry cups and garnish with a quick preparation of hollandaise sauce. Don't run yet, the hollandaise is easily prepared in a blender, making it foolproof. Easter never tasted so good, unless you consider the haul of chocolate prior to brunch!!!
8 sheets filo pastry
melted butter for brushing the filo
1 large muffin pan
3/4 cup unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks
1 tbsp. hot water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. Boyajian pure lemon oil
pinch white ground pepper
12 large eggs
6 tbsp. milk
Sea salt to taste
ground Tellicherry pepper to taste
3 -4 tbsp. fresh snipped chives or green onion tops
3/4 cup finely diced red pepper
3/4 cup finely chopped black forest ham (optional)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1. Lay one sheet of filo on your work surface, lightly brush with melted butter, top with another sheet, repeat until 4 sheets are stacked. Cut the filo stack into 4 inch squares. Lightly butter the muffin cups and fit the pastry into the cups, pressing the filo against the sides of the pan. Repeat until you have 12 cups.
2. Bake at 400F degrees for about 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, remove. Set aside.
3. To prepare the blender hollandaise: pour very hot water into the blender to warm it up. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan until completely melted and hot. Skim off the foam that comes to the surface.
4. Empty the water from the blender bowl. Add the yolks, water, lemon oil, salt and pepper to the bowl. Whiz the blender on medium heat. With the blender on low speed, slowly pour the hot melted butter into the yolk mixture, almost a dribble at a time. As the blades of the blender spin, the sauce will emulsify and you will have perfect hollandaise.
5. To prepare the filling, whisk the eggs together in a large bowl, add the milk, salt, pepper, chives, red pepper, ham and parmesan. Stir to combine.
6. Place the butter in a non stick skillet and melt. Increase the heat to medium high, pour the egg mixture into the pan and lightly scramble the eggs.
7. Once the eggs are cooked, place the filo cups on serving plates, fill with the scrambled eggs and top with a drizzle of the lemon hollandaise.