Warm Chevre Spread
This warm chunky spread is a great party food. Featuring sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, olives and the ever popular chevre (goat cheese) makes it very popular. Serve it with fresh sliced baguette or your favourite cracker. Any leftovers make a wonderful sauce tossed over your favourite pasta.
1 head garlic
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 to 3/4 cup white wine
8 ounces creamy chevre
4 ounces Philly style cream cheese, firm variety
14 ounce jar or can artichokes, drained and cut into eighths
2/3 cup Nicoise olives
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees, rub the head of garlic with a little oil, wrap loosely in tin foil and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and golden brown. When it is cool enough to handle squeeze the pulp into a bowl and set aside.
2. Cut the tomatoes into a medium dice and soak in enough boiling water to cover. About 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a saute pan, add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Sprinkle the sugar over and let the onions continue to cook until nicely caramelized. Pour the wine into the pan and deglaze, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the chevre, cream cheese, drained tomatoes, artichokes, reserved garlic. olives and pepper. Stir until the cheeses melt and the entire mixture is creamy and smooth. If it is too thick, simply add a bit more white wine.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with fresh crusty baguette and wine biscuits.
Serves 8 -10.