Tomato Artichoke Salad
6 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
1 small sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 can artichokes, drained and cut in quarters
Fleur de sel, to taste
Fresh ground Tellicherry pepper
Fattoria Estense 8 year old Balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
Good extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the tomatoes in wedges or round lay evenly on your serving plate.
2. Slice the onion very thin, alternate with the tomato and place in a circular pattern. Place the artichokes quarters in the center.
3. Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then a drizzle of the Balsamic vinegar. Brush with Fleur de sel and ground Tellicherry pepper.
Back to Top
Warm French Potato and Fresh Vegetable Salad
What a terrific time to enjoy the labours of your garden, better yet, to toss them on the grill together with baby new nugget potatoes. Veggies never tasted so good.
30 small nugget potatoes, red or yellow fleshed are good choices
1 jar roasted artichokes, cut into sixths
4 sweet onions, peeled, cut into sixths (leave the core attached)
30 sugar snap peas, strung
1 heaping cup cracked green olives
30 small egg tomatoes
24 thick stalked asparagus spears
1/2 pound cubed Asiago, Aged Cheddar or Swiss cheese
1 bunch fresh basil, cut into chiffonade (shredded)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup 8 year old sherry vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Fleur de sel to taste
Tellicherry pepper to taste
1. Place the onion and asparagus on the BBQ, grill until browned and cooked through. You can also do this step in your oven by placing them on a cookie sheet, drizzling with olive oil and roasting for about 10 minutes at 400F degrees. The asparagus will cook first so remove them when done.
2. Blanch the snap peas in boiling salted water for about 1 minute. Drain and refresh in ice cold water to stop the cooking and preserve the color. Wrap in kitchen towels and chill until ready to use.
3. Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked through. Do not overcook or they will break and become soggy. Drain and immediately transfer them to your serving bowl and pour the dressing over while they are hot.
4. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mustard, garlic, vinegar and cheese. Slowly pour in the oil, continuing to whisk as you pour. Season with the salt and pepper.
5. To finish the salad, cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces, add to the potatoes along with the onions, artichokes, peas, tomatoes, olives and cheese. Toss well to coat evenly with the dressing. Garnish with the chiffonade of basil and serve cold or room temperature.