Black Bean Prawns
You can substitute diced chicken breast if your budget or allergies are an issue. Alternatively, a mixture of veggies would be a great meat alternative dish.
5 inch piece fresh ginger
1/2 cup Chinese fermented black beans
1/3 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. hot chili flakes (optional)
30 to 40 raw prawns, peeled
cilantro sprigs (garnish)
2. Coarsely chop the black beans, or pulse in the mini chopper a few times. Add the beans to the garlic mixture.
3. Pour in the peanut oil, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili flakes. Stir to combine. The consistency should be that of a thick barbecue sauce.
4. Peel and devein the prawns, cut them in half lengthwise is you want to create a larger looking quantity. Transfer the prawns into the sauce mixture and let them marinate chilled for at least 30 minutes.
5. Heat about 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a large wok or fry pan. Get the pan really good and hot. Add the prawns and the sauce, quickly stir frying them for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until they turn bright pink. Take care not to overcook or they will become rubbery and tough.
6. Transfer the prawns to a serving platter and garnish with the cilantro. Serve with rice.
Serves 4 to 6.